How to: set and close off a rivet with a hand setting tool
Posted on February 08 2021
✰ Hey its Bex here from RJ Leather Studio, welcome to our "How to" videos.
✰ I am the owner of a leather sewing school and leather good manufacturer based in Lancing, West Sussex. I have worked in Paris and London with numerous fashion house and have a broad experience of the Fashion world. I have experience of running my own fashion brand and selling world wide. Having produced over 10,000 bags and counting, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I would like to share with you.
✰ In this video I show you how to set and close off a rivet with a hand setting tool. When it comes to rivets it is very important to make sure that you set them correctly. From getting your holes punch and aligned to how to close off the rivet with the correct method.
1) Rivets can be used for lots of different parts on a bag from functional attaching handles and decorative details.
2) It is really important that you use the correct size rivet for the leather thickness that you are working with.
Here are all the things that you will need and some recommended places to source them:
1. Double capped rivets - http://bit.ly/3jrjQTj
2. A rubber mallet - http://bit.ly/3oXrfKX
3. A hole punch, either a : rotating hole punch https://bit.ly/36S286h or mini hole punch set https://bit.ly/3tCWG0Q
4. An awl - http://bit.ly/2MCFnfS
5. Ruler or pattern master - https://amzn.to/30mV7Xd or https://bit.ly/3er4aLI
6. Rivet setting hand tool & anvil - http://bit.ly/2Oj6zRd
7. A cutting matt - https://bit.ly/2Zrbh2k
✰ Shop our handbag pattern - bit.ly/3dkkqRw-RJ-Pattern
✰ Shop our handbag making kits - bit.ly/3jUiFfn-RJ-Kits
✰ Shop our courses - bit.ly/3aq0KKk-RJ-courses
If you would like to see more videos and find out about upcoming online courses, then don't forget to like and subscribe to our channel.
Happy Sewing and thanks for watching! RJ x